ICE CREAM ROLL
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 quart ice cream, any flavor
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until pale in color. Add cocoa, flour and vanilla. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Spoon batter into waxed paper lined baking pan, about 9 x 13. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.
- Invert cake pan onto linen towel sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar and roll, jelly roll style. Cool.
- When ready to serve, unroll cake and spread softened ice cream. Reroll and serve.
View the steps below:
A mise en place.
Mix egg yolks with sugar.
Mix yolks and sugar until pale yellow.
Add cocoa, flour, and vanilla.
Whip egg whites until stiff and glossy.
Fold egg whites into cake batter.
Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Place cake on linen towel sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Remove waxed paper.
Roll cake “jelly roll style” and cool.
Unroll cake, fill with ice cream, and reroll.