THE BEST BISCUITS
Adapted from Shirley Corriher
About 10 biscuits
1 ½ cups low protein self rising flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
¼ heaping teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons shortening, cut into pieces
½ cup heavy cream
¾ cup buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray round cake pan with Pam.
- Combine low protein flour, sugar and salt in bowl. Work shortening into flour mixture with your fingers until there are no shortening lumps larger than a big pea.
- Stir in the cream and then the buttermilk. The dough should look like wet and lumpy cottage cheese.
- Pour the 1 cup all purpose flour onto a plate. With an ice cream scoop, scoop a biscuit size lump of wet dough into the flour and sprinkle with flour to cover. Transfer the blob with well floured hands to prepared pan. Place each biscuit next to the other, touching, so they will rise up and not spread.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool for 1-2 minutes and then serve.